Sunday, August 14, 2011

Michelin guides me in Hong Kong: L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon **

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, 25 June 2011

This is my final stop for my eat-venture in Hong Kong for this trip. I guess I do not need to give an introduction of this world class French Contemporary restaurant. L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon one of the best restaurant in Asia by Miele Guide and She is holding two Michelin Stars. Believe me, this is a restaurant that serves extraordinary French cuisine in extraordinary pleasant environment with extraordinary service at extraordinary price. But it is worth well the money, I will definitely return to the restaurant for absolutely perfect dining experience.

L'Atelier means workshop in French. I guess that is the theme of the restaurant, which is to setup counters around the kitchen and diners can see how their food being prepared by the cooks and chefs. The colours used in the restaurant are black and red and all L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon restaurants worldwide are using the same colour and decor. The decor is generally quite simple yet quite high class due to the colours used. The atmosphere is pleasant and quiet with classical music played throughout the dining service.

This is my second time sitting at the counter and see my food being prepared. My first time seating at the counter was my dining experience in Iggy's. The feeling is absolutely amazing. It is just like watching Hell's Kitchen live, except I do not see the head chef screams at his cooks. The counters are the chef tables.

The kitchen is led by Chef Michel del Burgo. He is a celebrity chef in France. He worked with some of the world famous French restaurants before then he owned a restaurant in France. Then he works for Chef Robuchon at this restaurant. He has quite an impressive resume and I believe his cuisine should meet Chef Robuchon's extraordinary standards.

I order the testing menu for this trip. Next time I am rich, I will fly back to this restaurant for Degustation menu. The complimentary appetizer Carrot and Tomato Pudding with Avocado. It is quite appetizing and it makes me really, very hungry.

My first starter is Le Caviar Oscietre. It serves oscitre caviar with crab in a gelée of lobster coral and fennel cream. This dish is Chef Robuchon's signature dish. He really knows how to combine complement ingredients together. The sweetness of the crab balance the saltness of the caviar. It is absolutely delicious and it is a great way to start my dinner.

My second starter is the beautiful and artistic Le Crabe with avocado, tomatoes and green apple. The ingredients are stacked on top of each other of that the diners can taste all ingredients. Again the ingredients are complement together. The sweetness of the apple and crab balance well with the sourness of the tomatoes, and the creamy texture of the avocado bind the flavors of the ingredients together. It is absolutely delicious.

My third starter is Le Foie Gras with cherries and fresh admonds. The duck foie gras is pan seared, well seasoned, creamy and absolutely delicious. Foie gras contains a lot of fat but the way the cook sears it, I do not find foie gras grease at all, and I will not grow tired of eating it. In fact I think the serving of the foie gras is too small and I want more.

My Fourth starter is L'Oursin which is sea urchin royale with fennel emulsion. It is creamy, well seasoned and absolutely delicious.




My fish entree is Le Black Cod with smooth daikon cream and extra virgin olive oil. This dish is a Japanese-French fusion. The cod fillet is tender, sweet and juicy. The daikon cream has a mild flavour and taste well with the cod fillet. The olive oil gives a nice fragrant to the dish. Le Black Cod is absolutely delicate and delicious.




My meat entree is La Piece de Becuf. It is actually pan seared Wagyu Beef with aromatics. It served with Chef Robuchon's signature Pommes Purée (meshed potatoes). This medium well Wagyu fillet is cooked to perfection. The outside layer of the fillet is crispy, it is well-seasoned, juicy and very tender. It is absolutely delicious. The only problem I had with this dish is the serving is too small. I want more proteins.

Pommes Purée is absolutely delicious as well. The taste is absolutely different from ordinary meshed potatoes,  saturated with butter flavour. Now I understand why Pommes Purée of L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon Las Vegas is voted one of the top ten America comfort food. American diners travel to L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon Las Vegas just for Pommes Purée. They order Pommes Purée for their starter and this dish again for their dessert. This dish is Chef Joel Robuchon's signature dish and it is one of the reason why diners worldwide are crazy about L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon chains. 

My first dessert is Le Mango-Mango. It is luscious mango cream with exotic fruits and gold foil on top. It is simple, sweet, creamy, a bit of sourness from the mango and yet very luxurious. It is very tasty.


My second desert is L'Habit Rouge. It is A red coated chocolate caramel dome with marjoram biscuit and walnut, and raspberry. This dessert is really artistic and beautiful. It is sweet and very tasty.

Last bit not least a dinner should always end with Le Moka Ou Le The with variety of chocolates. Le Moka Ou Le The means espresso, coffee or tea. I order the coffee and it is absolutely unique and delicious. The coffee is a mixture of blue mountain with other two types of coffee that give the unique texture. It is sour but it is really good. My best coffee so far in my life.


Even the dinner is quite pricey, I think it is quite worth the money. I will be back to L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon for my dinner again.


So far for this trip, I had seven Michelin Stars dining experience within three amazing days. I am now looking for more Michelin Star restaurants in near future.


Address: Shop 401, 4F, The Landmark, 15 Queen's Road, Central, Hong Kong
Tel: 2166 9000

No comments:

Post a Comment