Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Michelin guides me in Hong Kong: The Square *

The Square, 23 June 2011

The Square is another amazing Chinese restaurant in Hong Kong. It was my second Michelin-One-Star restaurant for my dining experience. This restaurant is located at the same building with the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. I guess once the stock brokers earn their commission, they go to The Square for lunch. They are lucky that this amazing restaurant is within their walking distance.


Although The Square is at the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, diners do not rush for their meals. In fact they take their sweet times to enjoy the cuisine. In my opinion, they earn enough for the single day. Ok I admit I am joking. This restaurant is big and quiet at start, but it is very crowded later. Surprisingly the diners are not noisy, they looks highly educated office men and ladies. The brands of their watches, you name them, you find them in this restaurant. I guess it is only me wearing a Nike yellow tee-shirt, a pair of jeans and Nike Basketball shoes in the restaurant.

I always order the comfort food to test the level of the chefs. And it was no exception when I dined at The Square. I ordered the simple yet amazing Seafood Soup, Wagyu beef with Fried Onion Rings, Lotus Rice and the Coffee Pudding.

The Seafood Soup is clear and tasty. The ingredients inside are ham, scallop, sea cucumber, mushrooms, tendon, bamboo shoots, etc. It is just like a mini Buddha Jumps Over the Wall. Each layer in the soup lies different intensities of the flavour. The flavour of the soup is getting more intense as you drink to the bottom of the soup.

The Wagyu Beef with Fried Onion Rings is a dish with strange combination. The Wagyu beef is very tender, well seasoned and delicious. But it is ridiculous that the side dish is fried onion rings.

The lotus leaf rice is full of flavour, fragrant and absolutely deliciously. The only thing I can complain about the serving is too small.

Last but not least is my Coffee pudding. The sauce of the pudding is the chocolate flavour sweeten milk. This dish is simple and absolutely delicious. I guess great food does have to be very complicated.

The service of the waitresses and waiters are great. They are very attentive. As compare to the service in Singapore. Hong Kong are miles ahead. How I wish all fine dining restaurants in Singapore has such level of service.

Not only the service is great, the price is not that expensive at all. I will definitely return to this restaurant again. Hopefully I will not see the fried onion rings on the Wagyu Beef again.

Address: 4F, Two Exchange Square, 8 Connaught Place, Central
Telephone: 2525 1163

No comments:

Post a Comment