Monday, August 16, 2010

Taipei, Taiwan

It had been quite sometime I have not updating Allez Cuisine. Sorry folks, I was focusing on my final year report these few weeks and not focusing on my photography and food adventure. The good news is I had submitted my final report draft last week, so this month I will be back on my journey for the greatest cuisine which has done justice in the world of cuisine. I have two weeks more for me to look for cuisine in Singapore before term starts again.

21-28 June 2010

As I expected when I just reached Taipei, the commissioning was not as smooth as I thought. Folks, what can I say? This is part and parcel of an engineer’s life. Terrible life!. But if there was no engineer like me in this world, perhaps all of you are living in darkness and in the world of no AC, water heater, internet, macbook, ipod, iphone and playstation. Terrible Terrible life!! As the result there will no Allez Cuisine to introduce cuisine that do justice in the world of cuisine. Perhaps all of us are eating tasteless meal now. Terrible terrible terrible life!!! I guess I better be an engineer to served you, folks (hopefully can become a project engineer and project manager in the future), a photographer, a food critic and a good husband-in-the-future (Girls, what are you waiting for? Good husband, best husband, must get him-as-your husband).

Although I never had a chance to look around for great local dishes in Taipei, Mr Willy Huang and his junior brought me to a local stall for beef noodles. Mr Junior Huang said that the local celebrity, Chen Mei Feng, always went there for the beef noodles.  I guessed the beef noodles for the stall was probably good and I had to really find out whether it was good. Mr Junior Huang and I ordered the beef noodles, and Willy ordered beef dumplings and the braised platter, which consisted of braised pig intestines and stomach, eggs and bean curbs. This dish is similar to a dish in Singapore and Malaysia, which is called Kway Chap (Kway means broad rice sheets and Chap means soup). The difference between the two dish is the favour of the soup in Singapore was much stronger than in Taiwan and broad rice sheets was served together with the braise platter in Singapore. I preferred the Singaporean and Malaysian version braised platter even though Taiwan version was tasty too. The beef noodle was tasty and the beef was surprising tendered.



The other local dishes I tasted were the cold noodles and miso soup with pork meatballs. The noodles were served cold with chilli sauce and sesame sauce, and the noodles were appetizing The sesame sauce was fragrant and it enhanced the taste of the noodles. The miso soup with pork meatballs seemed quite ordinary because it was just miso soup with egg and pork meatballs, but great in taste. This was because the egg tied the favour of the meatball and the miso soup together and enhanced the taste. I will definitely miss the cold noodles and miso soup with pork meatball when I returned to Singapore. It is possible to recreate the miso soup with meatball in Singapore. Folks, stay tune! Mr Glutton will recreate this soup one day!

Although I never had a chance to go around Taipei for siteseeing, I will definitely return to Taipei probably next year to continue my food adventure. I will go to La Petite Cuisine Brasserie to taste Chef Quak’s artistic creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment