Thursday, April 22, 2010

La Arenda Restaurant, Singapore

26 March 2010

That was a terrible day for me. Tired of working on school projects and papers, and tired working project on from my company. I started to ask myself, “When did I do the things I like to do?” I had not done sing karaoke, I had not time for photography, The only things I did to make myself a happy chap was going to Bedrock Bar and Grill above Somerset MRT station on 6 February 2010 with my dearest friends.

Bedrock Bar and Grill is a place you definitely have to try. Marbled steak, truffle mesh, macaroni with cheese and deserts. The restaurant definitely serves the top-notch American cuisine. I will return to this restaurant one day.

Ok lets us continue my story. Me, extremely do not like to push myself very hard decided to give myself a half-day break to energize myself. I went to sing in K-Box alone. It is so terrific; no one is going to snatch my microphone! I sang more than 80 songs. After my singing session, I decided to go to Pasir Ris. This place is unforgettable to me. I spent my school vacation there most of the time with my grandmother when I am in secondary school. Till now I still miss her.

There is a period of times in the 90s Pasir Ris was famous for its ban mian (板面, flat noodles), mian fen guo (面粉果, flat noodle skins), and you mian (幼面, thin noodles). Those are homemade noodles and it is actually quite famous in Singapore and Malaysia. I will search for food stalls that do justice to the homemade noodles in Singapore and JB after my exam.

Me, a glutton guy, wanted to find a restaurant for my dinner after hours of excursion in Pasir Ris. I use my HungryGoWhere App and I found a restaurant nearest to me and with a good review. It is located at Arenda Country Club and the restaurant is called La Aranda. I went there and I was greeted by the friendly smile of the waitress of La Aranda. I was directed to my table and I enjoy the quiet but peaceful atmosphere with classical music played in the restaurant. I was given the menu and I ordered a set dinner which costs about S$S30s. It consisted of coffee, onion soup, Homard lobster with cheese and chocolate truffles as recommended by the friendly waitress.

First my onion soup was served. I was not a fan for onions initially due to the taste. This soup changes my impression of onions. The soup was light and tasty. The onion taste in fact got milder. When I taste the soup carefully, I found that red wine was actually the one making the onion milder and added in fragrance to the soup. I really enjoyed the soup. (Opps, the soup is so good that I forgot to take a photo of it!)


The next dish would be the Homard lobster with cheese. I was disappointed in this dish. I guess the chef was in foul mood as I did that day. The meat of the lobster was nice and it went well with the cheese. However the mushrooms and garlic in the lobster gave a bitter taste. The whole dish did not harmonized well. I guess the chef had cooked the garlic and mushrooms together too long before putting them in the lobster. The garlic was overcooked and thus it gave a bitter taste not only itself but also affected the mushrooms. The thankful part was the cheese and lobster meat was hardly affected at all. I took out the mushroom one by one and I ate the meat with cheese together with the side dishes. I really enjoyed different combinations. This dish is French cuisine but with local ingredients added to it. Rice and spice powder, which is added on the lobster to give a fragrance smell, are the common local ingredients. This let me thought of a phrase which was originated from Iron Chef Japanese I Rokusaburo Michiba, “There is no border for ingredient”.


Last but not least was the ordinary chocolate truffle for dessert. It was ordinary yet it was so good. The manager of La Aranda recommended it to me. Now I understanded why the diners went to La Aranda and always order this dessert. The chocolate filling in the truffle was warm and melted my heart. I really enjoyed eating the fruits with warm chocolates coated on them. I guess some times ordinary food, such as a simple chocolate truffle, fried sunny-side up eggs or even food cooked by our parents taste better than cuisine from famous restaurants and from Michelin three-star chef. Ordinary yet so good……

The cuisine served by La Aranda is generally quite tasty, except the bitter mushroom and garlic from the Homard lobster with cheese. It can be better. I recommend my readers to go there if they live or bypass Pasir Ris. The price is affordable too. There are dishes I will return there to taste. There are Beef Tenderloin with Pan Fried Foie Gras and Atlantic Cod Fish. Give a try, Folks.

The address is:
Tel: +65 6585 1770

Opening hours
Daily
11.30am – 10.30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment