Sunday, June 12, 2011

Alternative Fine Dining

9th April 2011, Boxwood Cafe by Gordon Ramsay, West Hollywood

This restaurant was owned by celebrity chef and the host of world popular Hell's Kitchen US, Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmare, The F word, Gordon's Great Escape and Cook Along Live. Yes he is my favourite chef, Gordon Ramsay. Christina Machamer, the 4th season of Hell's Kitchen winner used to work for Chef Ramsay in this restaurant, Gordon Ramsay At The London. Since I was near to the restaurant that day I decided to go to Boxwood Cafe By Gordon Ramsay for brunch and it was located in Gordon Ramsay at The London.

The service of the waitresses and Maitre'd were professional and friendly. I expected nothing less than from the staffs of the world acclaimed chef. I would consider the decor of the restaurant as modern classic which I like. The restaurant was quiet and comfortable.

My starter was Spicy Tuna Tartare, Pickled Ginger and Toasted Pine Nuts. Tartare is chopped raw meat with seasoning and sauce. Tartare was thought to be originated from Tatar tribe from Central Asia. However it was named when it was always served with tartar sauce in the olden days. This was my first time I ordered a tartare dish. My tuna tartar was spicy, fresh, tender and appetizing.

My first entree was Prime Beef Shortrib Risotto, Mascarpone Cheese. This dish was somehow interesting as it reminded me of a Taiwanese dish, Stewed Pork Rice, but the risotto had stronger flavour than the later. The risotto was creamy and savoury. The braised prime beef shortrib was tender, full of beefy flavour and well seasoned. The shortrib and risotto were prefect combination. They were very savoury and absolutely delicious. It was the best risotto I had tasted, so far

My second entree was Striped Bass. Green Beans, Truffled Potatoes. The bass was fried and seasoned perfectly. The skin was crispy. However I think the dish was still quite "dull". A bit of lemon or lime juice would "woke" the bass up by adding flavour to it

I will return to Boxwood Cafe By Gordon Ramsay, just for the Prime Beef Shortrib Risotto


Address: 1020 North San Vicente Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90069, United States




No comments:

Post a Comment